What would you like to know?
Enter keywords e.g. "bus" or "drum rental"
Visit the Gallery for more photos of the beautiful venue.
Pocono Valley Resort
300 Camp Akiba Road
Pocono Valley offers a beautiful and exciting environment for our Retreat. The 350 acre venue is in the heart of the Pocono Mountains on a big lake. We love the convenient location between New York City and Philadelphia - only 90 miles from each city! The 350 acre facility has many features, included in all Retreat tickets:
- Fun and relaxing amenities to help you enjoy the natural surroundings
- A variety of large large class and performance spaces
- A full service cafeteria serving 3 meals daily, snacks, and more
- Simple, rustic housing in group cabins
Amenities and Activities
The Retreat is all about getting away from it all and immersing in drumming, dancing, and nature. Pocono Valley has many activities you can enjoy within arms reach of your cabin. The main feature is the big, beautiful lake and all things that go with it like kayaks and zip-lining. There are many other things to enjoy between classes and there are no extra costs - everything is included in your Retreat ticket.
Included in all Retreat Tickets:
- Free Parking: There is plenty of free parking at the Retreat - come and go as you please
- Free WIFI: There is a decent internet connection close to the main office that you can use whenever you want. It will not reach down to the cabins.
- Bonfires: Roast some marshmallows and gaze into the flames.
- Hiking: Get away from those crazy drummers and find tranquility.
- Swimming: 2 large/lap-sized outdoor pools!
- Zip Line: Fabulous zipline over the lake, even at night!
- Sports: The office will loan out basketballs, tennis rackets, etc. Have fun!
- Boating: There is a beachfront and boats - go paddle out on the lake!
Food and Lodging
It's important to be well fed and well rested to be able to fully enjoy 6 days of drum and dance! Food and basic lodging are included in all Retreat tickets. We eat together in the cafeteria, which provides breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 24/7 snacks, water, coffee, and tea. For lodging, you can choose to stay in our rustic dorm-style cabins, camp with your own tent, or stay in one of many nearby hotels depending on your needs and preferences. There are a few ways to secure a private/group cabin for you and your crew - keep reading!
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and More
Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks are served every day.
- Cafeteria-style service
- Varied menu with options for all diets
- Salad Bar with leafy greens, beans, eggs, salad toppings, etc.
- Coffee, hot chocolate, and tea are available 24/7
Food for all diets: The camp kitchen will make something delicious for everyone! There will be options for everybody, including vegetarian and vegan, at every meal. If you need to keep your own food there, it is no problem! They have a huge kitchen and can have it refrigerated and kept safe for you.
Food Allergies: The kitchen prepares food year-round for large groups and they are aware of, and sensitive to, food allergies. There are always several staff members serving food, so you can ask somebody if you have a question about a particular dish.
Styrofoam Plates: The camp provides styrofoam plates and plastic silverware. We have requested alternatives, but until they can come through for us we encourage you to bring a plate and silverware to help save the environment if you care to do so.
Our venue offers rustic cabins for group housing, and plenty of space for camping. We have about 70 cabins with anywhere from 8-16 beds per cabin. Individuals and couples who do not want to participate in the dorm-style housing or camping may want to stay off campus in a nearby hotel or Air BnB. We encourage bringing other people with you small group so you can be totally immersed in the retreat!
The more people in your group, the more housing options/perks you get:
Groups of 3-5 can buy the private/group housing add on ($250 flat rate)
Groups of 6+ automatically get private/group housing
Groups of 10+ get their own space plus a discount!
Please take a look at the chart, read the information below including housing types and group types to see where you think you fit and what your options are. Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you have!
All retreat registrations include a dorm-style cabin bed reserved for you at the retreat, or you may choose to camp or stay off-campus. Groups of 6+ get their own cabin and groups of 3-5 have the option to add it on (see Groups). To stay in our cabin dorms, you'll choose Men's, Women's, or Other cabin on your registration.
- There are 8-12 single beds with very basic (but comfortable) mattresses on a wood frame (see photo).
- Each cabin has a bathroom area with toilets, sinks, mirrors, and hot showers inside the cabin (bring your own toiletries and towels).
- We try make the cabins no more than half full.
- Each bed has its own electrical outlets, window, and closet/storage space (see photo).
- The cabins are fully powered with electricity and hot water, but they are not heated. Bring a high-quality fall weather sleeping bag or a "fire-safe" electric blanket.
- Please bring all your own bedding, toiletries, towels, linens. Here is a List of What To Bring.
You are more than welcome to bring your tent or RV and camp at the Retreat in a designated camping area.
Retreaters who camp have access to a cabin with a bathroom (hot shower, toilet, etc.) and all other amenities (all meals, snacks, etc.)
There are no RV hookups at the resort.
Please make sure to let us know if you are camping or bringing an RV by following the instructions in your checkout/registration.
There are many hotels within 10 miles of the retreat. There are also many Air BnB options. Please book your own accommodations well in advance of the event! If you stay in a hotel, we'll refund you $25/person/night.
To get the refund applied up front as a discount, feel free to use the following discount codes:
1NightHotel - $25 Off coupon
2NightsHotel - $50 Off coupon
3NightsHotel - $75 Off coupon
4NightsHotel - $100 Off coupon
5NightsHotel - $125 Off coupon
We have a handful of small rooms for couples and singles in the lodge up near the parking lot that are given out on a first-come, first-serve basis. These usually sell out within the first week of opening registration.
The rest of our spaces are large cabins with 8-16 beds that are used for Groups.
If you have medication you need to store or any special housing requirements, please let us know on your registration. We try our best to accommodate every person who wants to come to the Retreat.
Group Discount (10+)
Please read carefully as our group process has changed
We love groups! We have many large cabins and can accommodate large groups at the Retreat.
- Groups of 10+ will automatically be assigned their own private/group cabin.
- All Group Members will receive a 5% rebate
- Please let us know in advance if you need a separate cabin for men and women in the group.
- Group members receiving a discount must stay in the assigned cabin with their group (or off-campus).
Each group has one Group Leader, the ambassador of your group. Group leaders enjoy perks including a free Wula Retreat Shirt ($25 value), a free massage at the Retreat ($60 value), and VIP seating at the performance.
Group Members each fill out their own registration forms with their preferences, but are not required to provide group information. The list of who is in the group, and all other information regarding the group, is provided by the Group Leader.
When the Group Leader notifies Wula that 10 or more people from the list are registered, we will issue a 5% rebate on tickets to all members and the leader. The 5% comes off the ticket price that was paid by the group member (not including any rentals or other extras).
For Example: if you registered very early and got the Super Early Bird rate, you get 5% back off the Super Early bird ticket price that was paid. If another group member registered later and paid the Regular Rate, they get 5% back off the Regular ticket price that was paid.
Please Note: The rebate can only be issued to the card that made the transaction on the website.
The Group Leader responsibilities include:
- Identify yourself as a group leader
On your registration form or in an e-mail to the Retreat.
- Supply the names of each person in the group.
Group Members will not be added to a group until the Group Leader supplies their name.
- Notify Wula when all 10 people in the group have completed their registration.
No discounts can be issued until the group leader provides this info.
- ALL communication with Wula regarding the group
When group members contact Wula regarding group-related questions, we will say, “please talk to your group leader”.
Groups of 6+
While discounts are only available for groups of 10+, groups of 6+ will automatically be assigned their own private/group cabin. We can only provide one cabin for your group of 6+. To have separate men's and women's cabins you would need two groups of 6+ men and 6+ women.
- We prefer if you can have a group leader who names everybody in their group, but we understand that groups shift and change over time.
- For groups of 6+, we simply ask that you provide as much information as possible (names of group leaders/others in the group) on your registration form so that we can place you in the proper group.
- Wula is not responsible for handling group dynamics - if you write down the name of somebody you are planning to join, make sure they are aware of it and that they notify others in the group so there is no confusion.
Groups of 3 - 5 people
Groups of at least 3 people that don't meet the 6-person minimum for a private/group cabin will automatically be assigned to a dorm-style cabin with other retreaters. You can buy the Private/Group Cabin Add-On ($250) to get a cabin exclusively for your small group. This is a flat rate in addition to the ticket price, and paid one time by any member of the group (the fee is for the group, not per person).
- We will always put you with your people. For example, if you request to be with two other people but nobody in your group buys the Private/Group Cabin Add-On, the 3 of you will be in the same dorm-style cabin with other retreaters.
- During the checkout process, please provide as much information as possible about who you want to be grouped with, and specify whether you want to stay in a men's or women's cabin. If you have any questions about this, please let us know and we'll make sure you are comfortable.
- You can visit the Retreat Forum to find like-minded folks to stay with and just let us know on your registration.
- Remember, if you can recruit enough people to make a a group of 6+ you get your own cabin automatically!
Individuals, Groups of 2, and Couples
Individuals and groups of less than 3 who register will automatically be assigned to a dorm-style cabin. You may also choose to camp, or stay off-campus.
If you stay with us in the dorm-style cabins, your preference for Men's, Women's, or Other cabins is indicated on your registration form. Other cabins could be for couples or if you have any special requests please let us know on your registration.
Families with Kids
Please contact us if you are coming with young children so we can find a comfortable solution for you and your family.
Please bring instruments
There are many folks who don't have instruments who will want to drum, and although we will bring a truckload of drums from our warehouse, we're always worried that we won't have enough!
Please bring your own drums to play and let us know if you can help by bringing extra drums. We have a rental system in place to reserve a djembe, but we are counting on the retreat community to help us with more djembes, dunduns, balafons, congas, etc.
We will make sure people know the drums belong to you and they will stay in assigned classrooms so you know where they are and so they are not moved around campus without your supervision.
Need a djembe for the Retreat? We have a limited amount of Wula Drum Djembes available for rent in advance for the weekend. You will have a djembe with your name on it at the Retreat for any and all classes you wish to take.
If you need a drum just for a class or two, we will have extras available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
There are many ways to get to the Retreat
The official address for GPS is:
300 Camp Akiba Road
Stroudsburg, PA 18360
Please plan carefully to avoid heavy traffic coming from the big cities. Write down the directions as a backup because you may lose data and phone reception while you are on your way.
Wula Bus from NYC
Join other drummers, dancers, and faculty on the Wula Bus! We pick you up in Harlem and bring you to the Retreat. Then we bring you back. We use a big ol' yellow school bus for the 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive.
2018 Info TBA
2018 Info TBA